Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lesson #4

Eli taught me that Our mortal bodies are so sacred..much more than I had ever before supposed.

We were able to care for Eli's body after he had passed away. We washed and cleaned him very slowly and very meticulously. It was very sacred. I wondered if it would be uncomfortable to do this. That was not the case.  It felt to natural to care for him even after his spirit had left his body. His body was very sacred. I felt a great privilege in being able to do this.  We were also able to dress his body before we buried him.  That, too, was a very special experience.  I looked at his mortal tabernacle with such awe.  I felt so protective of his body after he passed away.  I was surprised to feel this way.
That experience made us think of those who cared for Jesus' body after he was crucified. I understood the sacredness of our body so much more after that. It is truly God's creation. Eli's body had done exactly what it needed to do. He had finished his work while In the flesh. Could we say the same when we are laid to rest? He came to touch hearts and teach us certain things and God gave him the exact body he needed to do this. 
As he lay there on the table, I had the thought that it had taken 9 months to create him and he had only needed his body for about 5 hours. I didn't feel cheated or robbed by this timetable. I had the thought that God works in mysterious ways. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9


Eli taught me that Our mortal bodies are so sacred...much more than I had ever before supposed

No comments:

Post a Comment