Thursday, June 11, 2015

Why we should be kind to our siblings

This was written by Katelyn after a rather frustrating trip to the park.  Trying to be creative in my parenting, I told she had to write a 2 page report explaining why we should be kind to our siblings.  I told her that if she didn't do a good job, she would have to redo it.  She was having more than a little trouble with it that day.  I was hoping that the 20 minutes it took her to write the report would be 20 minutes of peace for me.  I didn't know I would enjoy the report so much.  I've never read something like this from her before.  I post this, mostly, because it is so entertaining.  It was one of those moments when I realized she really does hear me.  It was quite a witty regurgitation of what I tell her all the time:


Why we should be kind to our siblings

                First off, we are stuck with our siblings forever.  And if you hate your siblings, too bad!  You will be living with them 24/7 for the rest of your life until you go to college and get married.  You need to learn to like your siblings(and if you already do, good for you!), because you will be miserable if you don't.

                If you are kind to your siblings, they will probably be kind to you.  Sometimes I am very kind to Ethan, and he returns it.  Your younger siblings (like Lincoln) will probably always be stinkers, and there is nothing we can do about it.  But you should still be kind to them.  It will teach them to be kind.  And if you are the oldest, you need to set an example to your younger brothers/sisters. 

                It drives your Mom CRAZY if you and your brothers or sisters are fighting constantly.  I know it drives me crazy when Ethan and Lincoln are fighting and screaming and crying.  You really do need to respect them because (this doesn't seem true) you and your siblings could actually be best friends.  You just need to be kind to each other.  When you get into high school and you can't find any friends, Voila! Just go home and find your siblings.

                You also need to use a kind voice with your siblings, too.  Once you have said something, it's out.  NEVER  say something when you don't mean it.  It's lying, and it can hurt someone's feelings too.  You know the saying, "Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words will never hurt me." Wrong!  Of course words can hurt you.  Really painful words can.  So don't say that you hate one of your siblings, because you don't!  You really don't!  Even if you think you do, you don't!

                This will also make your dear mom happy. No, thrilled.  Moms try so hard to make their kids be nice to each other.  And think of all they do for you.  Just think of it as returning the favor.  If you want your mom to be mad, shame on you!  How would you feel if your Mom wanted you to be mad?   Horrible, am I right?

                It hurts to have an older sibling or even a younger sibling be rude to you.  Everybody has been teased by a sibling, and I know that 99.999999999999 % of the people on earth don't like it.  I don't.  Ethan doesn't.  I don't think Lincoln does, or anyone else who's reading this.

                How would you like being in trouble or grounded all the time? Not my idea of a party.  So be kind.  It really pays off.  My dad and my uncle were brothers, and they never fought.  A miracle, right?  Wrong again!  No!  You can start being nice to your siblings today and end up like my dad and my uncle Justin.  You want to know how they turned out?  Terrific!!!  Every time they see each other, they're talking, kicking a soccer ball to each other, or throwing a Frisbee. 

                I would love if my brothers and I always got along like my dad and my uncle Justin.  I would really do anything to make that possible.  I bet your siblings would secretly like to be nice to you, but they are nervous to see how you react.  So YOU start it.  There is nothing you can't do.
(actually when I said that, I meant to your siblings. So don't go jumping off a cliff into a deep pool).

Why you should respect your parents

                I don't even know where to start.  There is a TON of things that your parents have done for you.  You want me to list them all? Ok.

                Mom: Takes care of us, does the laundry, does the dishes, drives us places, feeds us, cleans, bathes us, does fun activities with us, and pays for our sports and school.  SHE GAVE BIRTH TO US!!! What an amazing lady.

                Dad: goes to work, pays for our everything, plays with us when not busy, and finds cool movies for us.  HE BOUGHT OUR HOUSE!!!  What an amazing man.

                Just like kids, parents can get affected, too.  Use kind words with them.  And use them in a kind voice, otherwise they aren't technically kind words.  If you are nice to them, it will make them more eager to do fun activities with you.  If you are at a fun place, for example, Hang time, and you are rude there, it will remind your parents when the next time they feel like going, they'll remember that they didn't have a good experience last time, and they won't take you.  Sad, right?

                Remember the list above?  (BTW there is more things than just  those things)  Well, all the stuff they've done for you, pay them back.  Pay them back with kindness, extra chores, and stuff like that.  It is the least you can do for them after all the stuff they have done for you.  Remember, if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be where you are right now.

                You can tell them anything. It is like a storage case for secrets.  Pretty sweet, huh?  Don't ever lie to your parents.  They need to know the truth.  Sometimes they can help with some of your problems if you tell them.  If your friend, for instance, says "Don't tell your Mom," tell your Mom.  She can help.

                Have you ever considered being nicer to your friends than to your siblings or your parents?  Why is that?  Our friends are just like our siblings, except they're our age.  Treat your parents and your siblings just like you would treat a friend.  It's that simple.  All you do is think, this is Emma, or, this is Ashton and you are nicer.

                You are with you family forever.  Why not find a way to be nice to them while at it.  Families are one of the most important blessings we have ever received and ever will receive.  I'm not going to say it again.  TREAT.  YOUR.  PARENTS.  AND.  YOUR.  SIBLINGS.  WITH.  RESPECT. 

                And keep this in mind:  Your family can be your best friends you will ever have.  Ever.  You might move or your friends might move away.  You won't see them again.  But at least you still have your family forever.  And ever and ever AND EVER!

                You love your family, even if you don't think you do.  You are an important part of your family, so don't fall away. 

written by Katelyn Gause on June 2, 2015.

To Mom.

(I didn't make her redo it).