Wednesday, January 21, 2015

21 days

I always look forward to December 22nd.  December 21st has the least amount of sunlight of any day of the year...making it the darkest day of the year.  I like that day after this because we get closer and closer to more light.  I like this for literal and figurative reasons.  

I went to the cemetery on December 21st.  I take a picture each time I go.  As I was driving in that day, I had the feeling that this was becoming very familiar and routine for me...like a habit.  I have heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit (some people say 28 or 31 days, but that is besides the point).  I wondered how many times I had gone to the cemetery since Eli died.  I looked at the pictures I had taken on my phone.  I had been there exactly 21 times.   I thought that interesting.  

And another funny thing about the number 21.  Today is January 21, which Katelyn informed me is my half-birthday.  We don't celebrate half-birthdays at our house or anything, but Katelyn always seems to remember them.  I have a vivid memory of my actual birthday last year.  It had only been 6 days since we found out about Eli's diagnosis.  I remember those feelings very well.  Me and Jason went out to dinner.  We wanted to keep living our lives as best we could.  We had a quiet dinner and talked about Eli.  We talked about what we felt was right for him. Jason expressed the desire to give him a name and a blessing if time allowed.  


We went for a walk on along Provo river after dinner and talked. We talked about what we could put in his casket when he died.  We talked about burying him.  I remember our exact location and what the river looked like during each detail of our conversation.  We didn't talk about those things a great deal after that day.  We became too connected to him and the thought of actually putting him in a casket was sickening.  We decided to wait until we HAD to talk about it and trust that God would guide us through those things when the time came.  He did

No comments:

Post a Comment