Saturday, January 31, 2015

12 years

Me and Jason were married 12 years ago today.  I didn't want to be married in February, so we opted for the last day in January. I was so happy that day, and had no idea what was in store for us.  Jason was the best thing that had happened to me up to that point.  I had no idea how hard life would be, but I also didn't realize how much deeper and stronger my love would feel for him. My love for him was genuine and true at that time. As true as anything had ever been for me. But, it is has much more depth and sincerity now. It has deeper roots and more beautiful blossoms. All relationships are a fragile and constantly changing thing. They are alive, and if they are fed, they grow. If they are starved, they die. A marriage relationship is never stagnant. It has to move in one direction or the other.

I feel like I could have the same pictures taken today and I would smile just as I did that day, but it would mean something different now; it means more now. I think anniversaries have a way of bringing the expectation of a nice gift or an expensive dinner. Somehow those things are a true declaration of ones feelings for their spouse??? Those things are nice, but not without a true and beautiful relationship to go along with it.  This day has such significance for us because it signifies the day that we entered into a sacred marriage covenant that enables us to be with each other and our children forever. That has always been important, but we cling to those promises now. 

It means everything now. 

When someone you love is gone from this world, that is all that matters. So I didn't need a beautiful gift (even though I got one). I didn't need an expensive dinner or a dozen roses. The best gift we can give each other is living worthy of the promises we made to one another and to God.  This, truly, is the most significant day of the year for our family.


We went to the temple today and saw the same man who sealed us 12 years ago. Coincidence? You know how I feel about coincidences.




1 comment: