Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ryan's lions

Last Monday night my Aunt Robin, Uncle Bryan, and my cousin Justin and his wife Hillary came over to visit with us.  They said they had a gift to give our family.  I wondered what it could be.  I as blown away with their thought and very touching gift for our family.  They gave us a precious little stuffed lion.  Let me share some of Robin's words to explain why this gift was so meaningful to us:

"Recently Hillary shared a tradition started in her family we thought was applicable at this time in ours.
Hillary has a cousin who was born with heart problems and many were concerned he would die.  An aunt gave him a stuffed animal lion to represent the courage he would need to overcome this challenge.  This stuffed animal was in the isolette in the hospital and later in his crib and became his favorite stuffed animal.  Much of that had to do with what it represented to him.  As an Eagle Scout project he took the idea to another level.  His family and extended family made stuffed animal lions and gave them to people who were facing a tremendous challenge where they needed courage, like a lion. 
This tradition has persisted and because of the need the stuffed animals are now manufactured specifically for this cause.  In the beginning the idea was if you received a lion you would hug it until you didn’t need the lion’s courage anymore, until you got through your trial, challenge, or need for bravery, then you would give it to someone else in need.
I looked up the word Courage in the dictionary, I wanted to understand what it meant.  I looked up synonyms and one word I found caught my attention…”Lionhearted”.  What did that have to do with courage?  I searched a little more and found this story of tradition originating in Africa. 
In some tribes in Kenya and other countries in Africa young Masai men (12-15 years) are consigned to a period of isolation in the bush in order to turn them into strong, “lionhearted” warriors.  While in isolation the young man was to kill a lion with only a spear, this was dangerous, if completed the young man was a warrior and considered “lionhearted”.  He could then return home.
How does this apply to us?  Are we not sent from a heavenly home isolated to the “bush” for a period of time?  We are expected to face dangers, trials, challenges and show courage, bravery, and valor.  Couldn’t our spear represent faith, love, and family?  At the end of our time in the “bush” and with our “spears” we will be “lionhearted”.  We will also be able to return to a heavenly home and welcomed back as a warrior.  Yes there are different type of warriors, for now the Gause family are becoming warriors; little Eli is a warrior. (When she read this part to us I tried not to get too emotional because it can stress my kids out.  But, I did have the overwhelming impression that what she said about Eli was true.  It wasn't just a nice thing to say...)"

Lynn G. Robbins talked about being "lionhearted" just a few days ago in conference.  I don't know that I would have paid attention to that terminology had it not been for Robin.  Here is what he said:
"Daniel's prayers helped him face lions, but what made him lionhearted was defying King Darius."
I thought about what that could mean.  He didn't have to defy King Darius.  He could have been sneaky about his praying or simply said a prayer in his heart in order to keep himself safe from the Kings edict that no one pray.  I'm sure a lot of us could have justified a silent prayer in this case.  But, Daniel cared more about what God thought than what the King thought.  He understood who the true King was.  He acted, when he could have been passive.  Maybe that is the difference between his experience in defying the King and being thrown in the lion's den.  Maybe it requires that we become agents to act instead of objects to be acted upon to become lionhearted. Elder Robbins quotes C.S. Lewis in the same talk: "Courage is the form of every virtue at the testing point."  I think I am starting to understand what this means.

Which way do you face?

"We would like to give you this Lion of Courage as a symbol of our enCOURAGEment to your family at this time.  Our hope is when you need courage you will hug this lion and use some of his courage."


Hillary's cousin, Ryan, has started  Ryan's lion organization to reach out and help those people who are faced with a difficult challenge.  First of all, I was in awe that he started making these lions as his eagle scout project.  What an amazing way to fulfill this requirement.  But, you can tell, after visiting the website, that his story is much more than a rocky start to his life and an eagle scout project.  He has used this experience to give courage and love to so many people. The aunt that gave him this little stuffed lion was truly inspired to do so, and her act was just the beginning.  If you you want to visit the website and see here it is:

www.ryanslion.org 

There are tons of stories about people who have received a "Ryan's lion" and how they have shown courage in the face of some of life's most difficult challenges.  We haven't registered our little lion yet, but we plan to.
My kids immediately loved the idea of this little lion.  If any of you know Ethan very well, you know that he is a tender boy and LOVES stuffed animal.  LOVES!  I gave him a very large stuffed Mickey Mouse for his last birthday... almost a year ago and he thanks me several times a week for it.  He "snuggles" with it on the couch each morning and many nights.  The idea of stuffed friend comforting him is very much a part of him.  Katelyn, who is a little older, a little more mature, still loves her stuffed animals...not as much as Ethan though.  They take a turn sleeping with our lion each night.  They told me I could have a turn too if I needed.  For me, I was surprised how the tangible object of the lion really comforted me.  I guess we are tangible beings and we like tangible reminders.  It was a tangible reminder of the love and support that my aunt and uncle and so many others are giving me. I wish I could describe how this act made me feel loved and cared for.  I also realized how "courage" was one the most needed things for me.  Love and courage.  You really do have to be courageous to keep going and face difficult things.

I feel like it takes courage for me to go to the ultrasounds. It takes courage for me to walk outside sometimes.  It even takes courage to keep getting up every day and facing whatever the day holds...usually that can be a mixture of emotions and overwhelming reminders about Eli and the idea that he won't be here very long.  I can't even imagine the courage it is going to take for me to walk  in the hospital the day he is supposed to come to earth.  How will I have the courage to walk out of the hospital with him if he gets to come home to live his short life?  It will be terrifying. How will I have the courage to walk out the hospital without him if his life is already over?  How will I put his tiny body in a casket and bury him? I am scared to death.  I need a lot of courage right now. My favorite part about it is that once you are done "needing" your lion, you can give it to someone else who needs it... because there will always be someone you know that needs some extra courage.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. This is so special. I love this effort. Cute, but so meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and so eloquently inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly amazed at the courage you have already shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything about this. Your courage to share your journey with us, their courage to share such a thoughtful and beautiful gift and Gods constant stream of tender mercies in all of our lives.

    ReplyDelete