Friday, October 24, 2014

bird houses and winter time

Last week our neighbors came to visit us.  They had a special gift for us.  It was this handmade, beautiful bird house. I have never seen one so intricate and beautiful.  He taught us several things about birds.  

One of the things he told us was that they like the inside of their houses light (hence the white paint inside). Don't we like the inside of our houses filled with light (literally and figuratively).  

Only certain kinds of birds will nest in a house.  Other breed nest in trees or other places.  Similar to us... we all find our "home" in a little different circumstance.  The thing that is similar is that home is a place of refuge and safety for us.  

He talked about birds that sing.  What a joyful noise.  I have heard people say that we don't know if animals experience emotions.  I think that is ridiculous.  How could a robin sing if there wasn't a feeling behind it?  I'm not sure if God made any living creature without the ability to feel and experience joy.  Isn't that the purpose of our creation?

He talked lifespan of robins (robins are his favorite).  Most robins die their first year.  But the lifespan goes up dramatically for the ones that survive that critical time, because they've learned so many life skills.  Robins that do live, only live to be about 5 or 6. Winter is a critical time to learn and practice survival skills.  

Isn't this true in our lives?  As me and Jason have talked, he has talked a lot about how winter always comes.  It does.  I'm sorry if you think you are immune. No one is.  Winter is a little different for everyone.  Sometimes it's a little harsher and colder, but it comes no matter what.  It is part of progression.  Hopefully we are prepared enough and are equipped with some spiritual survival skills.  The good news for us is that God can spiritually bring us back to life if we do start to die spiritually.  Me and Jason have sought help through the ways we have always sought help.  We search the scriptures to find the promises we can hold on to.  We pray (and pray and pray and talk and pray).  We go to the temple to receive power and additional inspiration.  We keep our eyes fixed on God.  This isn't new to us.  We were so relieved when we realized that we didn't have any horrible bad habits or things we really needed to stop so we could get our lives in order.  As soon as we were faced with this challenge, we felt confident going to God for his help; in the same ways we have always gone to him.  I think it is much more frequent and we have a far greater level of intensity, but it wasn't a change of life for us.  I'm not professing to be perfect or even close.  I have fallen asleep during my prayers before and let too many weeks go by without going to the temple.  I have some far greater weaknesses that plague me, and I don't really need to enumerate them.  But the patterns were in place and they steadied, and continue to steady us, through the coldness.

There are beautiful things about winter, but also dreary things. Sometimes winter lasts longer than we like it to.  You should ask me how I feel about the whole month of February... but thankfully, spring comes too. Just  remember that winter doesn't always come in your spiritual life as gradually as is does in real life.  Sometimes it comes when you are hanging out at the pool drinking lemonade.  Did I bring my boots and snow shovel and furry coat to protect me... even though in July it didn't feel like I would need it?


No comments:

Post a Comment