Thursday, October 9, 2014

letters to Eli

I bought a journal several weeks ago.  We use it to write letters to Eli.  It has been an interesting experience for me.  I struggle sometimes when I write because I truly think of Eli as a mature spirit.  I think we were all mature spirits before we came here.  We did live several thousand years (at least) with God before we came to earth. I imagine Eli being much more pure and knowledgeable than me about things that matter most.  Then I think of his little, tiny body inside mine.  He is tender and fragile, and so in need of my body's constant protection and nourishment.  For some reason, those two ideas seem to contradict one another.  I know that they don't, but it's hard for me to imagine a beautiful and robust spirit in a frail little body.  I can't figure out who I am writing to.  The ideas are hard for my finite mind to connect.  All of us are mature spirits shoved into mortal bodies.  We seem to lose sight of that sometimes...especially when our 3 year old colors on the wall or unrolls the toilet paper roll.  That doesn't seem all that mature or obedient.  Anyways... my letters to him have been interesting to write and I know that as I look back I will see the significance of my feelings for him.  Ethan and Katelyn have also written him letters.  They, of course, think of him as a little baby and write to him as such. It is so precious and sweet to read their words. 


1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. It has always been hard for me to write in a journal, so I've had better luck writing to my children. And what a great way to remember your experiences with Eli:) I think it's great that Katelyn and Ethan are doing it too! Love it.

    ReplyDelete