Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Back to Normal

I used to wonder what life would be like after Eli died.  I used to wonder when I would feel "good" or "normal" again. I even wondered that right after he died.  "When will I feel like 'myself' again?"  as if that were the most desirable thing. It's interesting where grief takes you.  I don't really care if I feel like "myself" again.  I'm not upset about who I used to be or how I used to feel, but that isn't really my goal anymore.  I think my journey has helped me realized that I will never be the same and I don't even want to be.  There are things that I do want back.  I do want my naivety back, but that has been destroyed never to be rebuilt.  I want some semblance of happiness back although I feel different.
My mind and my vision has been irreversibly altered.  I see the plan of salvation in such a clearer and more concrete way.  I no longer see "heaven" as a nice place "somewhere in the sky" or whatever I used to think.  I don't even know what I used to think.  I never thought about it in depth.  I never had to.  I think about it all the time now.  My son lives there, so it matters very much to me.  It isn't an abstract idea anymore.  I am tethered to a place that I have never seen but is as real to me as this earth.  Part of me lives there so it is tangible to me now.

I guess I realize that getting back to my "old life" isn't an option for me and that doesn't bother me anymore.