Sunday, September 14, 2014

baby bucket list activity #9: Temple trip

Temple trip to the Provo temple:
  I was at the temple by myself several weeks ago and had the impression that we needed to go to the temple as a family in honor of Eli.  As we were driving to the temple, I thought about how families gather prior to a missionary embarking on his mission.  There are several gatherings, but I think the most important is when we gather at the temple and a new Sister or Elder receives their initiatories and endowment.  It is always overwhelming for the family and the person doing the living ordinance (...for different reasons.  If you have been through the temple you can relate with both of these feelings).  I felt like this was what we were doing with Eli.  I know that he wasn't actually receiving his endowments, but I know that this is part of our progression to return to live with God again.  When they asked if we were there for a living endowment I almost said "Yes." It felt like I was. He is certainly progressing, as are we.  I don't know how this works in heaven... I haven't been there in a while and I can't remember, but I know that we are always progressing.  
This day was symbolic for him progressing in the same way we all progress when we go through the temple prior to our mission; whether that be to a faraway place or another place where God has chosen to send us.  For me, it wasn't to a faraway place.  It was back to the temple to be sealed.  God has a different, perfect plan for each of us. 
Eli will also leave on his heavenly mission soon.  I never thought I would have a missionary so soon.  I have heard many people, who have had a child pass away, say that they feel like their son or daughter is serving a mission on the other side of the veil.  I always thought  this was a nice sentiment, but never understood the reality of it.  I do now.  I know this statement is much more than a nice thing to say or envision.  It is true.
 I kept looking at the date (9-13-14) stamped on my name card and knew there was something significant about the date.  I racked my brain, and we discovered that it was the same day Jason left on his mission 14 years ago.We don't normally celebrate this date or anything, but maybe we will now.  I feel like this was significant.


We are missing a couple of people in the picture.  Tess and Jared left before we took the pictures : (

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for inviting us to share this day with you, your family, and our little Eli.

    ReplyDelete