Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ultrasound #3

We had our third ultrasound today.  I felt MUCH better going into this appointment.  I feel like I have had sufficient time to process all of the information we have been given, which has helped my emotional state.  We decided to take Katelyn and Ethan because we thought it would be a great experience for them.  We left Lincoln home... he might have enjoyed it, but he is too unpredictable for us to take that chance, and I don't he would totally understand what was happening anyways.  Our tech wasn't my favorite.  I reminded every single  person who saw us that we needed the 3D ultrasound machine this time.  I usually wouldn't want to ask and ask and ask, but this is pretty important to us.  We asked her to do a DVD this time.  She said that the machine wasn't working so we couldn't.  That is obviously not an acceptable answer for me, because these images are all we will have and we don't even know if we will have another ultrasound.  We are supposed to have one in 4 weeks, but you never know!  So, I wasn't very happy and she wasn't very sensitive.  She tried the machine and the DVD ended up working.  I was very happy!
Dr. D on the other hand was phenomenal.  She has been so great.  She takes as much time as we need to answer all of our questions.  She was very kind to the kids (which goes a LONG way with me). She told them that Eli could hear their voices.  Now, there is a 50% chance that he can't hear at all, and she is, obviously, well aware of that.  She was so kind to try and make this meaningful for them and help them feel connected to Eli.  I have often wondered if he can hear us.  I figure it there is even a 1% chance he can hear my voice, I'm going to talk to him. She also showed us a great picture of his little fist all clenched up.  She said "Look at his fist!  He looks so determined!"  I was so grateful for her kind spirit, because both she and I know that the clenched fist relates to a neurological problem.  But, maybe, it also means he is determined.  I am just surprised when the doctors say kind things like this.  He was VERY active (as usual) and she commented on this several times acting reassured and surprised.  He loves to move his new little body. What a beautiful thing.

Here's what they saw:

1. Growth: he is in the 10th percentile which she was pleased with.  It was a little less than last time, but not enough to be worrisome.  I don't think they measure perfectly accurately each time either... so about the 10th percentile.
2. Fluid:  My fluid was "normal." Normal is 10-20 and mine was 19 cm.  So, I would say high normal. I  am kind of obsessed with this number because I feel like I have too much fluid.  I had too much with Ethan and it is a pretty distinct and uncomfortable feeling.  I don't really like 19, but its better than 30.  His stomach had fluid in it, which shows he is swallowing.  If he stops swallowing the fluid might go up, so they watch his stomach closely too.
3. Placental function: normal

The only thing she was concerned about was my "puffiness."  My face is puffy and I feel like my whole body is retaining fluid.  They don't worry so much about the fluid, itself, as my blood pressure, but, so far that is fine. I am an increased risk for preeclampsia (basically high blood pressure and all that goes with it) because he has trisomy 18.  I am also at an increased risk because I have diabetes. Nice. I have to go to the OB every week to have my blood pressure checked.
I was kind of annoyed about it because HE seems to be progressing well and the only concern was me.  I would really be annoyed if I had to deliver him early because of MY physical condition.  I never thought that would be a problem.
Here are some beautiful pictures of Eli.  I have never seen a 3D ultrasound image with any of my kids and it was amazing.  I was so very happy to see his precious little face.  It was a beautiful experience.



6 comments:

  1. Oh my, he is so beautiful! I just love that little picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! Look how adorable, all cuddled up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had to comment to say that we have seen many 3D ultrasound pictures of babies and they always look so scary and weird in them. This picture of Eli is adorable and by far the cutest 3D ultrasound picture we have ever seen. He is so handsome :)

    Lacie and Leland Liu

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks like a Gause - just like your other kids.
    I can tell.
    Love you, Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great picture. Handsome little Eli! I think he looks like Ethan, so cute:)

    ReplyDelete