Friday, August 29, 2014

Squashed

There have been many, many people who have commented on how "strong" me and Jason are. I think it is interesting. I don't feel strong much of the time, and the strength I have is not of my own making. I sure of that.  Jason compared this trial to lifting a very heavy object over your head. Not everyone lifts heavy things over their head, just for fun, but Jason does...every once in awhile. Despite his masculinity, he would not lift something over his head that is far too heavy for him, because he doesn't want to hurt himself. You could get squashed if you overestimate your strength.
I feel like I this trial we are passing through feels much like a weight. A pretty heave one. Maybe like a semi truck or something. What would happen if you stopped lifting? We'll, you would get squashed like a little bug. It would be messy. You really have no choice but to lift it. I realize that we always have a choice, but the alternative choice could leave you seriously injured. We have to carry it.
I'm sure you have had thoughts in your life about "what I could never do..."
I have.
But do you seriously think that anyone thinks: "Yes, I think I would  be okay if my child dies..." Or "I could handle it if my spouse dies." Nobody thinks they can lift a burden like that.
Because nobody can.
It is like anyone of us trying to lift a semi truck. It isn't possible no matter how strong you are.
When you go thorough something unthinkable, you lift because it is the only choice you have. When you lift, God can help. When you expend you own best efforts, he will make up the rest.  And the rest is quite a lot. I have felt so many times that if I just try my best, he will lead me through the difficult moment I am facing. i feel like my best might not be much sometimes, but I know that he will make up the other 99% that I am lacking. He will give me the additional strength to stand. If we aren't willing to try, he can't help us. And even if we squashed, he can fix what we might see as irreparable damage. He can do that.
So it seems to me that your only choices are to lift it up or get squashed. I know Jason would say he prefers bigger muscles to yucky messes.

2 comments:

  1. We have had this conversation before, you go through it because you have to and if anyone is faced with a trial they never thought they could face before, they will be surprised at how much our Father in Heaven does to help us through. We get through it because we will never be handed something we can't handle. He has promised us that. I have never heard it explained so wonderfully though! I completely and absolutely love that analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this analogy and your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete