Sunday, August 31, 2014

baby bucket list activity #6: Ogden temple open house

Ogden Temple open house:
We wanted to go to the temple as a family and an open house would be the only opportunity for all the kids to go inside.  We were pretty happy that the Ogden temple open house is going on right now.  We had a few kinks along the way... like google maps taking us to an LDS church instead of the temple. But despite a few more obstacles, we made it.  It is such a wonderful experience to walk through the temple with your kids.  You can explain things in a different way because they have a concrete, visual reference point to start from. Things don't seem as vague or mysterious.  It is just truth.  The celestial room was as beautiful as I had ever seen. 
I love the conversations that spark as we talk about Eli and the temple.  Katelyn asked if Eli would know us when we got to heaven.  I told her that, of course he would.  He is her brother, just like Lincoln and Ethan are her brothers.  She asked how we would recognize him.  I told her that he would know her, and to her surprise, she would know exactly who he was and feel like he had never left.  Sometimes I don't know how to answer my kids questions, but as I begin to talk, the spirit teaches me beautiful truths that I may not have thought of otherwise.  I felt like my conversation was very casual, like we were talking about her first day of school or something.  But, I also felt how sacred it was.  I wasn't wondering if I were telling her the truth.  I knew I was.  I didn't have to think through it either.  It just flowed from my lips as if I had prepared the answer in advance.  
Everything we do in the church is supposed to prepare us to go to the temple.  Why?  Because the temple is central to the family, and the family is central to God's plan.  There is no church without the family.  It would just be another organization.  I cling to the covenants and promises I've received in the temple, right now, in a way that I never have.  I understand that I am sealed to Jason, Katelyn, Ethan, Lincoln, Eli and to God.  Nothing can break it.  That really is the only sure thing in life.  Death can't change that.  It isn't just a nice things to say so we can feel happy and have a sense of false security.  It is what binds us together and what binds us to God. Going to the temple and receiving these ordinances is worth every effort, every sacrifice.  I can't imagine how troubled I would be if I didn't know these truths with a certainty.  I know it more than I know anything else.
If you have a temple recommend, go to the temple.  Listen to what you have promised and what power God is giving you to keep those promises.  If you don't have a temple recommend, get one.  If you aren't worthy, get worthy.  Nothing you do in this life will matter more than this.
We go to the temple to be taught by the spirit.  We go to the temple to receive comfort and reveleation.  We go to the temple to work for our deceased familiy members.  We learn how to ask the right questions. We don't go to check it off our to-do list. You will get exactly what you put into it.

Here are some pics of our outing:  Ethan got a little smashed in the picture :(





Here is a little video clip showing exterior pictures of the temple.  I didn't realize that they were totally redoing the temple.  I thought it was just a little face lift. If you don't live close enough to go... or you didn't go, you should watch this!


Here is a talk by Russell M. Nelson outlining the purposes of LDS temples and how we prepare to enter them:



No comments:

Post a Comment