Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Empty temples

I have had the wonderful privilege of helping with the Payson temple open house a couple of times. I have lots of things I could say about this, and maybe I will later, but I wanted to talk about the idea of an empty temple.


When I say, empty temple, I don't literally mean "empty." Let me explain. I have been to three different temple in the last five months that had very few people inside.

The first time was very shortly after Eli passed away.... a week and half after. I went to the last session at the Provo temple on a Monday, which is mid morning. I take my sweet time in the celestial room, and because I was in the last session, almost everyone was gone as I sat there. When I finally got up and started walking downstairs, I realized that most of the temple workers were gone too. It seemed very empty. It looked empty. It didn't feel empty. I think there are many.... many people at the temple...all the time. They talk about angels several times during different ordinances. I don't  think they are just saying it to sound nice. Of course they are there.  As I walked thought the seemingly vacant halls, I could feel that it wasn't empty at all. I think that having so many patrons and workers there makes it harder to feel this...for me at least. But as soon as most of them left, it was not hard to feel.

The second time this happened was at the St.George temple. We took the kids down there for a little spring break getaway and me and Jason took turns going to the temple. I happened to go to the last session on a Monday morning again. As usual, I took my time in the celestial room. This celestial room is very unique because there are sealing rooms attached to the room that you can go into. I was in very large sealing room all by myself. The sun was coming in through the east facing window. After some time, I knew that almost all the people I could see were gone.  I could see a temple worker pacing about, so I knew it was time to go. It was the same feeling as I walked through the halls. It appeared empty, but it didn't feel empty.

And last, but not least, I went through the Payson temple on a sort of impromptu tour. It was the day before the temple was opened to the public and I was privileged enough to help that day. There were very few people around as I walked through the temple. I was with a group, but walked off several times by myself to explore a room here or there. I felt so at home there. I was perfectly calm and at peace. This is what the sprit world is like, in my mind, only amplified. It felt the same as the hospital room where I held Eli. It feels the same as the cemetery. I have felt it in my home. It is the same feeling: warmth, safety, calm, peace....I guess it is home. I seem to loose track of time in these places. I certainly did that day in the St. George temple. There was one point where I was completely alone, but I knew I wasn't.  I don't think there are more people, angels, ancestors, spirits (whatever term suits your fancy), there when everyone leaves. It is just easier to feel them. That's my theory. It seems like a good one. If you ever have a chance, go to the last session at the temple.

And, I can add that going first thing in the morning, while most people are still sleeping, is just as beautiful.

Of course, I don't meant to say that this is the only time you can feel this intense presence.  A couple of Sundays ago,  me, Jason, and Katelyn went to the Payson temple dedication. This day, by contrast, was not an empty temple day, but it was easy to feel the spirit there. It was so powerful; almost tangible. We walked out and there were people lining up against a rope line. At first, I wondered what they were doing, but quickly realized they were lining up in hopes to see the general authorities exit the building. (Talk about being in the right place at the right time). Shortly after we walked out, we saw several general authorities exiting....Henry B. Eyring, Neil L. Andersen, Bishop Gerald Causse, and Sister Cheryl A. Esplin. Katelyn was able to shake President Eyring's hand!  It was such a great end to the beautiful dedication. I was so happy Katelyn was old enough to be there.  She commented on how even though she was not allowed to do work in the temple until she was twelve, she did get to be inside the temple after it was dedicated. I think she felt pretty special.  I feel a deep connection to the Payson temple.  It is more than just the fact that I have been there and helped with things a little.  It is more than the fact that I am in this temple district.  I feel like many people in the spirit world have been waiting for this temple. I feel like I have been waiting for this temple, but didn't realize it.  It feels like home.  As my friend, Lindsay, said to me the other day...a feeling of familiarity is different than a feeling of home.  Just because something feels "familiar" doesn't mean it feels like home.  Absolutely.  When I go to a temple (besides the ones I normally attend),  I feel like a visitor.  I feel welcome, but I definitely feel like a visitor.  I felt like I had arrived at home the first time I went to the Payson temple.