Saturday, June 27, 2015

Road biking

Happy Birthday to me!  It's not my birthday yet, but I have been wanting to try road biking, so I got an early birthday present.  I have actually wanted to try it for a long time.  I thought about doing it long before I was pregnant with Eli, but while I was pregnant I determined to try it.  I really thought it would be a good thing for me after he died.  I was always too nervous of getting hit by a car before.  People have been telling me all kinds of horror stories about cycling.  I'm not that concerned.  Having someone die has a funny way of changing your fears around.  I could hurt myself a lot of different ways, so there's no point in worrying too much about it.

I have been running, but there are some drawbacks.  It hurts my foot and I can't go that fast or far.  I like the idea of covering a lot of ground.  I also like the idea of moving fast. It is proving to be just as fulfilling as I had imagined.  I also like the idea because it isn't so pounding on your body and won't make me hurt like running does.  I guess that is until I wreck?

A couple of things to remember:

1.  Unclip before you get off your bike.  It is hard to get used to clipping in and out of pedals.  I have fallen a couple of times, but luckily, only Katelyn saw me so my ego wasn't too bruised.  Another part of my body was....today I fell on my shoulder.  There isn't a lot to catch you when your feet are clipped in and your hands are on your bike.

2.  Close your mouth on the river trail (I got a little extra protein this morning).

3. You can't drive your car like you ride your bike.  There are laws about speed, etc.  I got in the car after a nice ride this morning and realized I needed to take it back a notch.