Thursday, June 4, 2015

A foreign country

Back in probably December-ish time me and Jason read a book called:

Healing a Parent's Grieving Heart: 100 practical ideas after your child dies.

Not really a book your would add to your recreational reading list, but was a great read for us.  It was very short and concise written with 1 new idea per page, followed by bullet points.  At the time, my brain wouldn't have been able to digest much, so it was perfect and opened up a lot of conversation between me and Jason. There was one idea; number 31.  It stated: Get away from it all.  One of the bullet points said:




I remember laughing and thinking, "Oh, okay....I'll just visit a foreign county."  Me and Jason aren't big travelers.  I have only ever been out of the country to cross the Mexican and Canadian borders for a few hours each.  I just thought it was so laughable at the time.

Weeeeeelllllllll.... Jason earned a trip through his work to go on a cruise to Europe, so I guess it was a good idea after all.  We were gone for 10 days and visited England, Belgium, Denmark, and Norway.  We were supposed to visit Sweden, but it didn't work out : (

I have a lot to say about the trip, but I'll keep it simple for tonight.

Favorite country: Belgium

Favorite food:  Belgium waffles and Belgium chocolate and the chicken sandwich in Norway and the chocolate ganache on the airplane (weird, right?) and all the dairy that could be found in Europe. All of it. There was a lot of good food.


AND...


AND, just to be sure...


And, of course...


Jason said it perfectly when he explained that Belgium chocolate is a form of currency for me.

Favorite site: Church of our Lady in Copenhagen, Denmark.  It holds the original Christus sculpture
and sculptures of the 12 apostles.



In a talk by Boyd K. Packer in 2008, he talks about a visit that Spencer W. Kimball made to this church and his conversation with a custodian that worked there: The Twelve

Favorite sound: The bells in Belgium and silence.