Thursday, September 10, 2015

Washington DC

Jason had a business trip to Washington DC and I decided to join him.  This is the first time we have ever done something like this.  I always felt our kids were too small and it wasn't feasible.  I am beginning to feel like quite a traveler, which is not something I did a lot of before we had Eli.  It has just worked out that I have been able to go on these work related trip with Jason recently.  Jason has been to DC a couple of time before on business and he told me it was a must see place. After going, I agree.  Even though he was there on business we did a TON of sight seeing during his down time.  I totally relaxed and slept in while he was working.  It was incredibly rejuvenating for me, but I think Jason was exhausted after the trip.  We went to the National Archives and saw the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.  There was a reverence in that building that was very distinct.  These documents are sacred.  We went to Ford's theater where Lincoln was assassinated.  We went to the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington monument, the reflecting pond, and Arlington National Cemetery.  I had a lot of thoughts while in Arlington.  I think I have a deeper reverence and respect for the people buried there than I could have before Eli.  I understand that the battle that they fought is really no different from the battle that was fought before we came to Earth.  It is the battle for agency....for freedom, as we like to say.  They gave their lives defending the same rights as we fought for a long, long time ago.  We saw the tomb of the unknown soldier.  I would like to write all about that, but most of it can't be put into words and I am too tired to try right now.  The one thing I can say is that it is absolutely silent besides the sounds that come from the guards movement with his shoes and gun.  It was really something you have to see in person.  It was such an honor to sit there for a few minutes.  We also saw several babies buried in the cemetery (which I wasn't expecting).  We also went to China Town and ate at a place that wasn't quite as good as PF Chang's.  I was a bit surprised by that.  It was such a great trip.