Friday, September 18, 2015

Pretzel Injuries

Today Lincoln was eating pretzels and a sharp corner of one of the pretzels poked his mouth.  He was upset.  He walked into a completely different part of the house to find me.  He told me his plight.  I told him I was sorry and validated that he was hurt.  I gave him a kiss at the point of injury and he walked away content.  It was a 15 second interaction.

It started me thinking about what had just happened.  I never "taught" Lincoln that he needed to come find me when he was hurt.  It was just natural for him to.  I never told him that he would feel better if I gave him a kiss.  I must have done it one time and it soothed him a little, so he set this up as the standard practice after he got hurt; whether the injury was big or small.  When he comes to me I don't lecture him about eating his pretzels more carefully.  I don't tell him that lots of kids eat pretzels and they seem to know how to do it without getting hurt.  I don't tell him that he has to pay the price if he wants to eat such a dangerous food.  I try not to tell him he will be fine and to run along.  I just tell him I am sorry he is hurt and give him a hug or a kiss.  I validate his feelings and do what I can to help him feel better.  I don't think a hug or kiss necessarily takes away his physical pain, but it helps him to know that I am right there with him and I am sorry he is feeling that pain or hurt.  

I think this very simple and natural idea could go a long way with my interactions with others.  Validate their pain, hurt, anger, grief, sadness, whatever and do what I can to let them know I am there and I want to help even if  I can't do much to take their pain away.  Wouldn't that be a better way than the exhausting ritual of rationalizing my own bad behavior when I act frustrated or too busy or too tired to sympathize with them?  Wouldn't that be better than convincing myself that I know nothing about their experience to offer help so I should keep my distance?  A simple, I'm sorry....you are not alone in this moment.